Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Does this make me a bad mommy?

My children go back to school tomorrow. Is it wrong of me to rejoice? I'll have the house to myself for a few days before I start work, and while I've loved having them around, having two seven-year-olds in the house 24/7 for the past summer is about as much lovin' as I can take.

Of course, I'm nervous for them--it is a brand new school for them, and they'll be riding the bus for the first time ever. We checked out the facility, and it seems very nice. One of my children, the one who is usually a pessimist, even declared, "I think I'm going to like it here." Hallelujah! Of course, then he bit his lip and said, "I hope there aren't any bullies." Amen to that, too.

That's my biggest worry. Are my kids going to be well-liked and popular, or are they going to be the nerdy ones that get picked last for basketball? Well, maybe not basketball--they are only 7, and already they come to my shoulders in height, so if these other kids are smart, they'll pick them first. But are they going to be popular? Neither their dad or I were in school, and I just can't bear the thought of them going through what we did. This actually keeps me up at night, though there is nothing I can really do about it. Many things keep me up at night that I can do nothing about. I worry about health insurance, global warming, identity theft, and dental caries, though I suppose I can do something about that last thing. So, back to school it is. The only question I have now, is how far behind the bus should we follow so the kids don't actually know we're there?

TJB

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bully comment one of them made broke me heart :-(

And, no, you ain't no bad mommie!

(I, however, have murdered the english language....)

TJ Bennett said...

Well, they got on the bus okay. It was only them and one other kid getting on at their stop today--most of the parents drive their kids in the first day, but we thought it would be confusing to our kids, since they wouldn't know where to catch the bus on the return trip otherwise. I think they handled it better than me!

Sniff. Sniff. I hope they're okay...

TJB

Jax Cassidy said...

I think they'll be fine. No bully would want to take on twins. Are they identical? They could pull a fast one on the kids. :)

TJ Bennett said...

They aren't identical, but they look enough alike that one might get punched out for the other by accident. However, the day is done, and no incidents. Actually, they had a good day. The hardest part was us all getting up at oh-dark-hundred to catch the school bus. Ugh. Not morning people, us.

TJB

Anonymous said...

I'm glad they weren't the worse for wear...and that mommie and dad survived :-D