Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Attack of the Killer Tree Roaches

Ohmigawd, ohmigawd. I was just attacked by a tree roach the size of my thumb. My husband says it probably wasn't attacking me, per se, but rather trying to find a way to climb onto my leg and investigate me, but that, in my humble opinion, fits within my definition of the word "attack." I screamed like a girl and danced the hootchie kootchie, waking up one of my sleeping children in the process.

The thing had GRABBED MY TOE through my sock and wouldn't let go. I'm just sitting there, minding my own business at the computer, and I feel this little "tug tug." What the heck kind of bug is so big and bold that it grabs your sock and won't let go? Then it crawled under the bed and had to be sucked back out with a vacuum cleaner. I won't be opening THAT bag any time soon, no siree.

Look, I'm a girl from the suburbs, okay? I don't go camping because I don't believe it makes any kind of sense to leave a perfectly good toilet and shower behind. But since I've moved to my new home state a month ago, I've battled tree roaches, maggots, mosquitoes, copperheads, wasps, click bugs, little wiggly things that have yet to be named...I love the forest and everything, but if I woke up tomorrow and somehow my yard had been accidently covered in concrete, I probably wouldn't call anyone to change it back. Yuk.

TJB

5 comments:

Shesawriter said...

Hey T!

I found your blog and I love it. :-) Very nice. The tree roach thingie is CREEPY! Yuk. Hope all is going well with your revision.

Hugs,

Tanya H (Your GH sister in crime)

Trish Milburn said...

Eew! I get creeped out by normal size roaches. I might faint if one that big grabbed my toe.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, every time I read this (believe it or not, it's been at least 4), I just crack up (after shuddering at your experience, of course....)

TJ Bennett said...

Oh, yes. Laugh at my pain.

Hi, Tai! Hi, Trish!

TJB (writer of very professional blogs. Should I add, "Hi, Mom!"?

TJ Bennett said...

Ohhh...wow, is it some kind of weird, freaky cosmic thingie that all the posters on this day's blog have names that start with a "T"?

Coool.

TJB