Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Another Product We Don't Need

Uncrustables. Heard of this one? This is a product, made by Smucker's, which in effect is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the crusts cut off and the ends smashed together in a tart-like fashion. But here, let me let them tell you about it:

"The makers of Smucker's created a way to seal the homemade goodness of PB&J into a sandwich that can be enjoyed any time, anywhere. Made with strawberry or grape jelly Smucker's Peanut Butter and Jelly Uncrustables sandwiches are a great way to enjoy a PB&J, whether at home or on the go. Uncrustables sandwiches can be found in the freezer section and thaw within 30 minutes."

Okay, so, could someone please tell me why we needed to update the PB&J? What was wrong with the old one? So I had to cut the crusts off for my little ones. Big deal. Smucker's had to invent a whole new way of serving the PB&J (and charge me accordingly)? Is there anything simpler to make, and cheaper, than a PB&J?

Listen, I'm no Martha Stewart. I'm not June Cleever, either. I admit, I've tossed a few Lunchables at my kids when I run out of time or ingredients to fill their lunch boxes for school. They like them. So sue me. But, if I ever get too busy to make my kids a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...just take away my license to mother. Go ahead, do it.

BTW, there is a hot controversy involving who really invented the crustless peanut butter and jelly sandwich. For something that will make you gape in shock and awe over the [insert euphemism here] that lawyers will cook up--er slather on--in pursuit of the almighty dollar, follow this link to read about how Smucker's tried to get the patent on the crustless PB&J, and prevent anyone else from selling them, too.

For real and for true.

TJB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smuckers also has a crustless grilled cheese. Convenient or not I can't use either. My kidlet would die if she had peanut butter or cheese. So I'm forced to DIY.

Anonymous said...

OhLORDHAVEMERCY! What, I say what will they think of next!?

Hey, there SMJ! (g)